|Catalogue Number :||ODDC0007|
|Title:||Buccaneer HUD Waveform Generator Unit|
|Name Plate:||Display Waveform Generator Mk2 Type A|
|Serial Number:||EA/300/67, 721/77|
|Year of Manufacture:||1967?|
July 1953 saw the issuing of Naval Staff Requirement NA.39 calling for a carrier-borne strike aircraft with a large range capable of carrying a nuclear weapon under enemy radar cover and striking enemy shipping or ports. Blackburn Aircraft won the tender to produce their design which became the Buccaneer.
The prototype first flew on 30th April 1958. The specification called for an Attack Sight giving navigation and weapon release information for the low level attack mode. The Air Arm branch of the Ministry sponsored the development of a Strike Sight System which was the name for the overall weapon aiming and release system. The Royal Aircraft Establishment designed the Strike Sight System. The Pilot’s Display Unit was built by Cintel and the system was first integrated in 1958.
The Cintel Head Up Display business was taken over by Elliotts and the Buccaneer PDU was manufactured and further developed continuing up to a Mark III version with a total of 375 systems made; it was given a `fit and forget' title by the Royal Navy and it was still in service nearly 25 years later. BAE Systems thus has a claim to the world’s first Head Up Display in operational service.
The symbology was generated within the `dustbin' Display Waveform Generator Mk2 Type A in analogue fashion on cards reminiscent in shape of an artists palette. Symbol shapes were held in the Waveform Generator and displaced by d.c voltages derived from the data inputs. The system was quite advanced with the capability to drive a second display unit but symbols could only be changed by replacing the circuit boards. The unit operated at 33Hz; only just fast enough avoid flicker but the P1 phosphor in the CRT fortunately had a reasonable persistence. Later Waveform Generators began to use printed circuit boards. This was one of the earliest applications of silicon semiconductors in place of thermionic valves (vacuum tubes) for symbol generation. The Electronics Unit was pressurised at about 15psi and this was done using a basic bicycle pump.
The Display Waveform Generator was fitted in a bay just forward of the Port engine intake.
This is Serial No.300 It was acquired in 1999 from Portsmouth Breakers and was made in 1967
Overall Dimensions: diameter 29cms depth 44cms